The Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP) allows employers to hire temporary foreign workers (TFW) when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.
These employers can hire TFWs from participating countries.
To qualify for the SAWP, employers must meet 3 criteria:
• The TFWs hired must be citizens from participating countries.
• Production must be in specific commodity sectors
• The activity must be related to farming and primary agriculture
The SAWP operates according to bilateral agreements between Canada and the participating countries.
SAWP NATIONAL INDUSTRY COMODITY LIST
• Apiary products
• Fruits, vegetables (including canning/processing of these products if grown on the farm)
• Nursery-grown trees including Christmas trees
• Pedigreed canola seed